- About Us
- About SDGs
- SDGs Study Scheme
- Getting Involved
- News and Events
GEYS1010 Creative Social Responsibility and Sustainable Development
Lecture: Fridays 03:30 p.m. — 06:15p.m.
Professor CHOW Po Chung and Professor LEE Albert
Medium of Instruction
This course consists of four major components:
1. Our Roles for a Sustainable Future
How can we lead a good life in a just society? How can individual actions affect events at a global scale? These are the questions every student should ask and take seriously. We will explore them through the United Nation’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) in this section of the course.
2. Sustainable Development for Our Future
This section of the course seeks to help students to think about what their future is going to be like if humanity continues business-as-usual. Selected issues that critically impact the future of our planet will be discussed. In-depth discussion on the issues, including responses from various sectors of the society around the world, will be guided by the SDG Framework.
3. Sustainable Development of Cities and Communities to Ensure Good Health and Well-being
This section of the course enhances students’ knowledge on impact of urban development on health and well-being by making use of concept of Healthy City to illustrate socio-economic and political determinants of health. It aims to broaden the students’ concept of health and well-being to address issues of sustainable urban development. This section focuses on 2 key SDG’s, Good Health and Well-being (SDG 3) and Sustainable Cities and Communities (SDG 11). Other determinants for health and well-being, such as reduction of poverty (SDG 1) and reduction of inequality (SDG 10), and health justice (SDG 16), will also be discussed.
4. Creativity and Design Thinking for a Sustainable Future
This section of the course examines the topic of creativity and design thinking. The key question to be discussed is how we can put design creativity to good use in our everyday life as well as in projects that we choose to pursue to create a world of peace and prosperity.
- Describe the importance of sustainable development for their future.
- Analyse the impact of their actions on their future and value the needs for sustainable development.
- Explain the importance of sustainability in society, and how to lead a healthy and positive life.
- Appreciate design thinking from an interdisciplinary perspective, with the potential of applying such knowledge to propose new ventures to improve sustainability of the world.