- About Us
- About SDGs
- SDGs Study Scheme
- Getting Involved
- News and Events
UGEB2362 Nutrition and Healthy Living
Lecture: Fridays 08:30 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
Ms YIP Pui Sze, Professor LEUNG Kwok Nam
This course aims at providing students with majors in other academic (non-life sciences, non-medical) disciplines with an overview of nutritional sciences and their applications for everyday life and health issues. This course also aims at increase the awareness of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that are related to food and nutrition.
The course is composed of 4 themes. Theme 1 will introduce basic concepts of nutritional sciences and the nutritional needs/concerns at different stages of life in humans. Theme 2 will address the relationship between nutrition and some common nutrition-related diseases. Weight management will also be included in theme 2. Theme 3 will discuss some diet and nutrition controversial issues. Theme 4 will cover some selected local and global nutritional issues.
- Identify the functions of nutrients, and symptoms resulted from excessive and deficient nutrients intake.
- Recognize nutritional needs/concerns at different stages of life in humans.
- Describe the relationships between nutrition and some common diseases.
- Analyze nutritional controversies through applications of the basic knowledge of nutritional sciences.
- Assess nutritional status using simple nutritional assessment methods.
- Develop simple strategies for weight management and healthy eating habits.
- Apply basic knowledge of nutritional sciences in daily life to promote healthy eating.
- Identify local and global nutritional issues that influence our eating behaviors.
- Increase awareness of SDGs, particularly the goals that are food and nutrition related.